Wednesday 30 May 2012

New Publication: Doverodde


Doverodde
Twenty short prose pieces about the harbour village of  Doverodde in Denmark, 
illustrated with photographs.
Bird Editions, Oxford, 2012.
Softcover: £12.95
Available to preview and purchase here.

* * * 

Doverodde shelters in an oxbow on the Limfjord, a glacial channel separating North Jutland from mainland Denmark. Nancy Campbell was Writer-in-Residence in Doverodde during the month leading up to the Doverodde Book Arts Festival in May 2012. The location lay behind the choice of theme for the Festival: On The Margins (or 'Udkant' in Danish).
'Despite the relative isolation of Doverodde, there was always something happening to justify walking away from my studio for a few moments – a boat launch, a flower market, a disagreement between dogs. Alongside work on poems about the region's geology and waterways, I began to collect notes about my everyday experiences in the village. These sketches developed into short prose pieces, published daily on my website for the entertainment of Doverodde’s residents and more distant friends. This selection from those writings provides a dose of life on the margins of Denmark.'

3 comments:

Mário R. Gonçalves said...

Thanks for publishing, Nancy. I just ordered my copy. I'm sure I will love it.

NANCY CAMPBELL said...

Thanks for your support, Mário, and I hope you enjoy the book. I thought it was worth publishing on paper too!

Mário R. Gonçalves said...

Got it !

Somehow the "stories" had a different charm live on the blog, but it's wonderful to have the printed collection. It's now my bedside table book, and good end-of-the-day reading. I just love that one about the rain, or the sailor...

Mário.